Clear Communication for a Symbiotic Productive Relationship with your Bookkeeping FrimPosted On April 14, 2017
You want to have a clean organized bookkeeping file- in fact, that is what you were promised- you are after all the client. Then panic! You cannot get the end of month P&L you were guaranteed because your bookkeeper is missing some information but you are not sure what. Sometimes these issues with firm-client communication are a simple lack of established information processes.
Five Strategies to Fight the Information Gap:
- Starts at onboarding- Being a part of the discussion to identify the processes for sharing information and documents is key to clear communication. Be as specific as possible. Include a time frame for exchange of information.
- Xero- Discussion Tab- There are so many features to the Beautiful Accounting Software (Xero) that are under implemented. What to make a note to your firm about a transaction? Jot a note or question in the discussion tab. Save the emails and feel confident you have provided the information about the transaction.
- Xero Reconciliation Report – This awesome tool provides a summary of outstanding items for a identified time period. Request this from your firm and you can see if there are any outstanding transactions or uncleaned items.
- Shareable documents – google doc. Seems a bit old school given all the possible options for sharing information but time and again proves to be invaluable.
- Explore other options- Basecamp, dropbox, FileShare.com Box.net… whatever will work and whatever you are comfortable with.
The important part is establishing a process and expectation with your new bookkeeping firm. Then everyone feels a sense of accomplishment.